Manchester’s firefighters are warning people to be careful when using barbecues following a flat fire in Manchester on Thursday night.

Crews were called to a tower block in Manchester at 9.57pm on Thursday, July 6, after reports of a balcony fire.On arrival crews found a balcony had been on fire, with damage to the wooden decking.

Councillor David Acton, Chair of the Fire Committee, said: “The consequences of this fire could have been a lot worse than they were.

“It is astonishing that people do not follow basic fire safety and put lives at risk by not taking care and using common sense.

“Our firefighters have done a fantastic job to keep this incident as small as it was.”

Station Manager Steve Forster said: “Please only use barbecues somewhere flat, away from anything flammable and especially not on a surface that will catch fire.

“Fires can start so easily so please be safe and take care. Always keep a bucket of water nearby just in case the barbecue gets out of hand.”

Crews used a thermal imaging camera and other specialist equipment to ensure the fire was out.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here