It might surprise you to learn that you’re more likely to sustain an injury at home than at work. Despite attempts to create a clean, safe environment for your loved ones, it’s easy for accidents to happen.

For this reason, try to familiarise yourself with any potential hazards, as well as the steps to take should an incident occur. Keep reading to find out how to avoid serious accidents in the home.

Remove Fall and Trip Hazards

Falls, slips, and trips are the most common household accidents. To protect your young, old, and those in between, you must remove potential hazards from your floors, such as:

  • Clutter
  • Loose wires
  • Broken floorboards
  • Unsecured rugs

Also, try to avoid placing items on (or near) stairs to prevent serious or fatal falls. This might take a while to become a habit, but when you consider the importance of doing so, it should become easier. 

Prevent Fires

The UK experiences an average of 37,000 house fires each year. Protect your family by installing and routinely checking your fire alarm, as well as changing its batteries at least once per year. 

Try to also must monitor any candles, avoid smoking in your home, unplug unused appliances and invest in a fire extinguisher to combat any flames. 

Of course, fires may still happen. If a fire breaks out, call the fire service immediately to extinguish the flames. You must ensure that the property is safe to enter by organising a professional fire damage cleaning service to remove soot and smoke damage.

Avoid Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

According to the NHS, an average of 60 people in England and Wales will pass away from carbon monoxide poisoning each year. The poisonous gas can prevent blood from carrying oxygen to the body’s cells and tissues, which can prove fatal if a person is exposed to high levels.

Carbon monoxide poisoning does cause various symptoms, such as headaches, dizziness and nausea, but you can also identify the hazard with a carbon monoxide detector. 

Common sources of carbon monoxide poisoning include:

  • Boilers
  • Central heating systems
  • Gas fires
  • Cookers
  • Open fires
  • Water heaters

Carbon monoxide poisoning often occurs if an appliance is faulty, poorly ventilated or has been incorrectly installed. If you suspect you have been exposed to carbon monoxide, you should visit your local A&E immediately.

Protect Loved Ones from Cuts

It’s important to keep glass and other sharp objects away from young children. If you break a glass in the home, remove the child or vulnerable person from the area and sweep it away immediately. You may need to use a vacuum cleaner to remove small fragments.

If you or a loved one sustain a cut, apply pressure to stop the bleeding. Once the bleeding has stopped, rinse with cool water and apply an antiseptic cream or spray to the area to prevent infection. If bleeding continues after 10-15 minutes, seek professional medical attention.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here