A Family of seven escaped a house fire that is believed to have started after cooking was left unattended yesterday evening on Deane Road, Bolton.
The four adults and three children had evacuated the property prior to the firefighters’ arrival. Thankfully nobody was injured.
Firefighters wearing two breathing apparatus used a hose reel and a fan to extinguish the fire involving a pan of food on a cooker.
People are being urged to be careful in the kitchen after firefighters tackled two fires believed to have started when cooking was left unattended.
Residents are now being reminded to always remain in the kitchen when cooking and never take risks.
Crews were called to an earlier incident at involving a kitchen fire in a flat in Marden Road, Manchester.
Neighbours called 999 after they heard the smoke alarm and could also smell smoke. Crews attended and gained entry to the property, finding a frying pan on the cooker, which was still on and unattended.
Firefighters wearing two breathing apparatus used a hose reel to extinguish the fire and helped a 76-year-old man, who was asleep, from the property. The man did not require hospital treatment.
GMFRS Head of Prevention, Area Manager Paul Fearnhead said:“Luckily no one was harmed at either of these incidents but these incidents could have been much worse.
“I’d like to remind members of the public to follow a few simple steps when it comes to cooking safety and most importantly to never leave cooking unattended. A range of safety advice can be found on our website.
“A working smoke alarm gives you vital time to escape if a fire did ever occur in your home, test yours every week to help reduce the risks of danger to you and your family. If you don’t have a working smoke alarm GMFRS can provide one for free as part of our Safe and Well visits.”