Keir Starmer has today announced senior members of his Shadow Cabinet who will be charged with responding to the coronavirus outbreak.
Lisa Nandy will be the new Shadow Foreign Secretary while Angela Rayner, elected Deputy Leader of the party will be the new chair
The Labour Leader will chair a new Shadow C-19 Committee, which will be responsible for coordinating the Party’s response to the coronavirus pandemic.
The members of the Committee are:
- Keir Starmer, Leader of the Opposition
- Angela Rayner, Deputy Leader and Chair of the Labour Party
- Anneliese Dodds, Shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer
- Lisa Nandy, Shadow Foreign Secretary
- Nick Thomas-Symonds, Shadow Home Secretary
- Rachel Reeves, Shadow Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster
- Jonathan Ashworth, Shadow Secretary of State for Health and Social Care
Nick Brown has been re-appointed Chief Whip and Angela Smith remains Shadow Leader of the Lords.
“We are living through a national emergency. Under my leadership, the Labour Party will always act in the country’s interest to save lives and protect livelihoods. That will be the number one priority of my Shadow Cabinet.
“We will be a responsible opposition that supports the Government where we believe they are right and challenge them when we believe mistakes are being made.”