Two teenage boys who cannot be named for legal reasons, have been jailed after being found guilty of causing the death of 15-year-old Reece Tansey who was fatally stabbed in May last year

A 16-year-old boy was jailed for 15 years after being found guilty of murder and a 15-year-old boy was jailed for six years after being found guilty of manslaughter.

Today’s sentencing comes as a result of a five week trial which was held at Manchester Crown Court during October and November 2021.

During the trial, the court heard how in the early hours of Tuesday 4 May 2021, Reece left his home in Bolton after a fight was arranged over Snapchat messages between the two defendants and Reece.

After meeting up with the defendants on Walker Avenue, Bolton, an altercation took place which resulted in Reece being stabbed with a kitchen knife six times by the 16-year-old boy (15 at the time of the incident) while the 15-year-old defendant was present.

Following the attack, the defendants ran off from the scene and Reece was left severely injured in the street, where he was later helped by local residents. Despite the very best efforts of emergency services Reece tragically died at the scene.

Reece’s mother Laura Tansey, made the following comments in her victim statement: “Reece was our 15-year-old son, he made us smile, he made us laugh, he made us tear our hair out at times, a typical teenage lad, but he was ours.

“Reece was simply our world, and his death has devastated us beyond belief. When Reece was born, never did we imagine that in 15 short wonderful years later, his life would be taken in an act of violence that is beyond comprehension.

“Instead of planning his 16th birthday, we found ourselves preparing for Reece’s funeral and having to explain to his little brother, why Reece would never be coming home.

“Reece had his whole life ahead of him. On that day, not only was Reece’s life taken, but so was ours, the news that Reece had been killed simply drained the life from us and we will never be the same again. We will never come to terms with the senselessness of it all. The pain is almost physical.”

Detective Inspector Nicola McCulloch, of GMPs Major Incident Team, said: “Reece’s murder was a terribly traumatic incident which shocked the entire local community including the students and staff of the school that Reece attended.

“This was a completely mindless and callous act of violence from two such young boys who have left a family devastated by the loss of Reece at only 15-years-old. Our thoughts are very much with Reece’s loved ones today and I hope this verdict brings some peace for them in that justice has now been served.”

Inspector Paul Nolan, from GMPs Violence Reduction Unit, said: “The Greater Manchester Violence Reduction Unit was established in 2019 and is a team of subject leads and experts from GMCA, GMP, GM Probation Service, Public Health, NHS, Education, Community Voluntary Sector, Victims Voice, Youth Justice and Local Authorities.

“This is the first time that the VRU have worked on an active murder investigation and we have been working closely with the local authority, as well as with local schools and colleges in Bolton to educate young people on the impact knives can have not just on individuals, but on families and communities. We are committed to reducing violent crime, and prevention in this case is key.

“Following the tragic murder of Reece, I’d like to take this opportunity to urge parents and carers to speak to other young people about the dangers of knife crime and how one wrong decision can ruin multiple lives. Good friends can also prevent knife crime from occurring so please look out for each other.”


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here