The Chair of the House of Commons Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) Committee, has written to Mike Ashley and Tim Martin calling for them to set out the measures which their businesses are taking to support their employees during the current coronavirus crisis.

The move follows criticism over the conduct of both Companies in recent days

In the letter to Tim Martin the committee say

I was therefore disappointed to read that you have not indicated whether you intend to cover the wages of your staff until government support comes through. This is despite other companies in your industry guaranteeing that they will pay their staff for at least eight weeks. Furthermore, you also seem to have suggested that when the government do pay 80% of your staff’s wages you might not pay the other 20%. Finally, I am deeply concerned that while you encourage your workforce to consider working for
supermarkets you note that if they do you will give them “first preference” if they “want to come back”

In the letter to Mike Ashley the committee askfor detailed information about the measures that Sports Direct, House of Fraser and Newcastle United Football Club are taking to support their employees during the current coronavirus crisis

Rachel Reeves, said:

“Sports Direct and JD Wetherspoons are big names on our high streets, relying on the dedication and hard-work of their staff and the trust of customers for their success. At times of national crisis, it’s vital that businesses step up, do the right thing and stand by their workers and their customers. When many businesses are undertaking great work to support the national effort, it’s crucial that companies such as JD Wetherspoons and Sports Direct do all they can ensure their workers are properly protected and get the pay to which they are entitled.”


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here