Trying to set up a VPN on your device manually? You can set up a VPN manually on any device in just a few simple steps.
VPN is nothing but a virtual private network that encrypts your internet traffic and routes all your traffic through one of its servers so that no one can track you back. A VPN guarantees anonymity and privacy online. You can use a VPN to access services that may not be available in your region. This applies to streaming services like Netflix US, Hulu, HBO GO, Amazon Prime Video, DAZN, ESPN, and more that are not available across the globe. You can access all such blocked content from anywhere in the world if you are connected to a VPN.
A VPN will offer strong security and privacy so that even your ISP will not be able to see what you do online. Most VPNs come with apps for popular platforms like Windows, Android, Linux, and more. Similarly, the best way to set up a VPN on your device is to use the VPN app that is meant for your device. You just have to download the VPN app for your device and sign in using your username and password and get started with the VPN.
However, not all VPN providers offer apps for all devices, as some might have apps for popular platforms like Windows, Mac, and Android, but not for Linux. So how to set up the VPN if there are no apps for the device you wish to secure? Is it still possible to set up the VPN on a device even if the VPN service does not offer an app? This article aims at helping you set up a VPN on Windows, iOS, macOS, Android, and Chrome OS. Read on to know how to set up the VPN manually on these platforms.
How to Set up a VPN on Android
In just a few quick and simple steps, you can set up a VPN on Android.
- Go to “Settings” > “Wireless & Networks.”
- Click on “More.”
- Click on the “+” icon at the top right corner.
- Here’s where you will need to enter the VPN credentials your VPN service provider has given.
- Once you enter the details, hit “Save” to complete the process.
How to Set up VPN on Windows 10
You will need to use the PPTP protocol to set up a VPN on Windows 10. Follow the steps below to get started.
- Head to Network Settings on your device that runs on Windows 10.
- Click on “VPN” and then on “Add a VPN connection.”
- In the new window that pops up, enter the required details.
- Choose “Windows (built-in)” in the VPN provider and for VPN type, select “Point to Point Tunneling Protocol.”
- Click on “Remember my sign-in info” and click “Save.”
- Now, choose the VPN from the list and connect to it by hitting the “Connect” button.
- You are now all set to browse the web over your VPN connection.
How to Set up VPN on iOS
Here are the steps involved in the process of setting up a VPN on iOS manually.
- Head to “Settings” on your iOS device and go to the “General” section within Settings.
- Select “VPN” > “Add VPN Configuration.”
- Select PPTP protocol in the Type option
- Return to the previous screen and type in the details you received from your VPN provider, including your username, password, and the name of the server
- Tap on Done and switch on to get started with the VPN
How to Set up VPN on Chrome OS
Here are the quick and simple steps to set up a VPN on Chrome OS.
- The first step in the process of setting up a VPN on Chrome is to import a CA certificate from your VPN provider and store it on your Chromebook.
- Now, type in chrome://settings/certificates in your browser’s address bar.
- You will have to go to the “Authorities” tab by clicking on it.
- Now, click on “Import” and select the CA certificate you stored on your computer.
- Once you import it, follow the instructions you see on the screen to set up the VPN on your device.
- The next step is to click on the account photo you see at the bottom right corner.
- Open “Settings” and click on “Add Connection” under Network.
- Select OpenVPN/L2TP and enter the details your VPN service provided and click on “Connect” to get started.
How to Set up VPN on macOS
Follow the steps below to set up a VPN on macOS.
- Click on the Apple menu on your Mac and go to “System Preferences.”
- Go to “Network” and click on “+” at the left corner.
- In the interface menu that pops up, choose “VPN.”
- Once you click the VPN Type menu, you can choose the kind of VPN protocol you wish to establish based on the network to which you are connecting.
- You can name your VPN service and click on “Create.”
- Provide server details, which include your Account Name and Server Address.
- Go to “Authentication Settings” and provide the information your VPN service provided. This includes passwords and Shared Secret.
- Select “OK.” Now check if the option to send all traffic over the VPN is turned on. Once you do so, click “OK” and save your changes.
- At the lower right-hand corner, click “Apply” and then “Connect.”
- Now, you can get started with the VPN.
How to Set up VPN on Android
Here are the detailed steps that will help you set up a VPN on Android.
- On your Android device, go to “Settings” and open “Wireless & Networks.”
- Click on “More” and click on “+” at the top right corner.
- Here is where you will need to provide all the credentials your VPN provider has given you.
- Tap “Save” to complete the VPN setup and to start using the VPN.
Depending on the Android version you use and the manufacturer of your device, the settings might change. If you do not find the VPN option, you can find it using the search option.
The above-mentioned steps are meant for those looking to set up a VPN manually on their Mac, Chrome OS, Windows, iOS, or Android devices. Though it is simple and easy to download the VPN app for your specific device and use it, you can follow the instructions mentioned above if the VPN service you are using does not offer apps for any of these platforms. We hope this article helped you set up a VPN seamlessly on your device.