Greater Manchester’s Firefighters are warning people of the dangers of cooking while under the influence of alcohol and leaving cooking unattended after one woman was rescued from a flat fire in Manchester.

A young woman was rescued from the smoke-logged flat in Brighton Grove Fallowfield after it is believed that she fell asleep after leaving a pan of food unattended on an electric cooker while under the influence of alcohol.

Station Manager of Withington community fire station, Ian Redfern praised the crews for their hard work in rescuing the casualty this morning. He said “Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus searched the property and rescued the woman who had fallen asleep on the sofa. Using one hose reel they extinguished the flames and cleared the smoke from the flat using a positive pressure ventilation fan.

“Crews did an excellent job of quickly responding to this incident and rescuing the casualty from the flat. The fire was contained to the pan of food and there was minimal damage in the property.

“We would like to remind everyone to avoid cooking food while under the influence of alcohol, and to never leave cooking unattended.”


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here