While freshmen are looking for academic help and write each other messages like “How to buy my customer essay at an affordable price?”, school leavers should think about the choice of the future university. Great Britain is the country with old education traditions, and the most ancient universities such as Oxford, Cambridge, and others are open to new talents. However, how about education in Manchester?
Some facts from the History of the University of Manchester
Manchester is one of great cultural and historical centers of Britain. It was one of the centers of the Industrial Revolution; therefore, it is not surprising that the main educational institution of Manchester – the University of Manchester – was established as the University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology. Here are some facts from its rich history:
- Modern name and modern form – the University of Manchester – is the result of merging of two educational institutions: the University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology and Victoria University of Manchester in 2004. Both of them have a long history and their own traditions; therefore, the University of Manchester is considered the heir of these two reputable universities.
- The University of Manchester is one of the Red Brick Universities. He latter is an umbrella term used to denote six best universities of England located in big industrial centers. All of them were developed on the basis of colleges of applied and engineering disciplines and became universities before the beginning of World War I. Although the term “Red Brick Universities” was created as a disrespectful one to point out that these universities cannot compete with so-called Ancient Universities like Oxford or Cambridge, today this term is a sign of prestige for industrial universities. In addition, the former University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology was established in 1824, which makes it the oldest among Red Brick Universities.
- The University of Manchester is the member of a well-known Russel Group. Russel Group is a scientific community in Great Britain that unites 24 educational institutions all over the country. The main feature of this community is the opportunity to run 2/3 of all investigation grants in the UK. Therefore, all members of this group are considered prestigious and flourishing universities. Hence, it stands to reason that so many young people interested in different branches of science are eager to study there.
- The University of Manchester has a very high enrolment competition. One may think that Ancient Universities are more popular and have more candidates per study place. However, enrolment competition in the University of Manchester is the highest in Great Britain! Hence, only the most talented will have a chance to become its students.
- 25 graduates, postgraduates, and professors of the University of Manchester have become Nobel laureates. Such a great number is surely a sign of education quality! However, Oxford and Cambridge have more Nobel laureates among the graduates, and the University of Manchester is at the third place only.
- The University of Manchester is at the third place in its scientific potential. Oxford and Cambridge have the leading places, as usual.
- The University of Manchester is considered the largest university in the United Kingdom. Unfortunately, it is a single site university; it means that it has no constituents and branches in other places. Therefore, if you want to enroll to this university, you should move to Manchester.
Certainly, all these facts are not only interesting for people who dream about a science career but also make the University of Manchester a great place for talented people.