Two men sentenced yesterday at Minshull Street Crown Court to a combined total of over nine years imprisonment following a series of violent robberies that took place in Denton and Ashton in the early hours of Monday 17 February this year.

Jack Paddon,26 of St Johns Court, Hyde was sentenced to six years and six months after pleading guilty to four counts of robbery and a 16-year-old, boy who cannot be named for legal reasons, was jailed for three years after pleading guilty to four counts of robbery and possession of a bladed article.

The first robbery occurred at around 12.40am when a 14-year-old boy was riding his bike down Rowley Street, Ashton-under-Lyne when he was followed by a red Ford Fiesta, being driven by Paddon.

The car eventually pulled up in front of the boy at Smallshaw Lane and the 16-year-old male grabbed the boy by his wrists and demanded he get off the bike. He then began to search his pockets before the boy broke free and ran home, leaving the bike.

A short while later police received a call from a man stating that his friend – who was later revealed to be the 16-year-old male – had dropped a bike off at his address in Ashton-under-Lyne whilst bragging that he had stolen it from a boy. This bike was recovered by police and identified as the stolen bike.

The second robbery took place around 2.50am when a 45-year-old man was walking along Lance Corporal Breeze Way when he noticed Paddon’s Ford Fiesta behaving suspiciously in the area and following him. As the man continued his journey along Edward Street he then saw the teenage male who cannot be named running towards him before he was grabbed by the wrist and tripped up.

As he fell to the floor, he was hit over the head with a metal instrument.

The teenage male then began to verbally assault the man whilst going through his pockets before stealing his phone and fleeing the scene. Following the assault the man was left with a head injury leaving him with permanent headaches.

Later that morning at around 4.30am a 75-year-old man was walking along Cotton Street East, Oldham when the male who cannot be named approached him on foot from behind before grabbing him and pushing him to the ground. The man subsequently hit his head on the floor leaving him with swelling and bruising to his eye and head.

The teenage male fled the scene with a dog chain the man had been carrying. Paddon’s Ford Fiesta was also lingering in the area at the time.

A few minutes later the male who cannot be named approached a 70-year-old man waiting at a bus shelter on Gas Street, Ashton-under-Lyne before attacking him. The force caused the old man to slump down to the floor and the male, who was carrying a knife, began to search his pockets and continued assaulting him. The male then jumped kicked the old man in the head before fleeing the scene.

A nearby woman shouted at the male and he subsequently fled the scene leaving the man with multiple cuts to his face and hands and bruising across his entire body.

Following extensive enquiries the two males were subsequently arrested and charged.

Detective Constable Darren Byrne of GMP’s Tameside district, said: “These two roamed the streets of Ashton and Denton before preying on random members of the public, two of whom were elderly and unable to properly defend themselves. The assault of anyone is abhorrent but these were cowardly, unprovoked and motiveless attacks that understandably left some of the victim’s incredibly shaken for some time after the assault.

“Today’s sentence is a great result and another positive step forward in helping to remove dangerous individuals from our communities. I hope today helps provide a sense of justice and closure for the victims.”


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here