WITH temperatures set to increase over the next few days, firefighters are warning people to make sure they are having barbecues safely following an incident where one is believed to have set fire to a nearby property.
Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) is also reminding residents who live in flats to never have a barbecue on their balcony.
From tomorrow (May 25) cloudy and wet weather is set to give way to sunshine and temperatures of more than 20 degrees for the next few days.
Residents across Greater Manchester are being urged to take extra care when having barbecues after an incident earlier this week which is believed to have been started by a barbecue.
On Thursday 21 May at 11.13pm, three fire engines from Altrincham and Wythenshawe attended an incident involving a fire in the garden which had spread to a ground floor room of a house in Lilac Road, Hale.
Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service firefighters used one hose reel and a positive pressure ventilation fan to extinguish the fire and were in attendance for around 45 minutes. The cause of the fire is believed to be a barbecue that then spread.
GMFRS Head of Prevention, Area Manager Paul Fearnhead said: “This incident is a timely reminder of how easily a fire can spread.
“Barbecues are a great way to enjoy the hot weather – providing they are used safely. Please remember to always keep a bucket of water close by in case of emergencies, avoid distractions when having barbecues whether that be alcohol, children or pets and lastly always ensure that your barbecue is fully extinguished before leaving it unsupervised.”