Blackhouse Restaurants present the ‘Great British Beef Off’, with chefs from each restaurant participating in the challenge hoping to be crowned ‘Beef Off’ champion. The challenge will run throughout August with the overall winner chosen by Blackhouse diners across the UK.
The head chefs from the five Blackhouse restaurants (the two sites in Manchester, London, Leeds, and Glasgow), as well as special guest Olive, in Liverpool, have been tasked with creating a dish which makes a connection to their particular city. Every Blackhouse restaurant will feature the dishes throughout August.
£2 from the sale of each dish will go to the Tim Bacon Foundation, which was established following the passing of Blackhouse co-founder, Tim, in April 2016, to help support charities in the fight against cancer.
The first appeal the foundation has embarked upon is to support The Christie Hospital and University College London in their appeal to raise funds for Proton Beam Therapy centres in Manchester and London. The charity is also supporting Maggie’s, who provide much needed free practical, emotional and social support to people with cancer and their families and friends and is a key partner for the clinical services of the Christie Hospital.
Each of the dishes will also be paired with Blackhouse crafted cocktails; Maple Loves Ginger and Tim’s favourite, Negroni, with £1 from each sale also going to the Foundation. Diners can show their support for their favourite chef via social media and at the end of the month the most popular dish will be crowned The Blackhouse Great British Beef Off winner.
Blackhouse MD, Scott Grimbleby, said: “We wanted a fun and creative initiative to raise funds for Tim’s foundation. As well as everything going on in the restaurants the Blackhouse Operations team will also be completing the national 3 peaks challenge on Saturday 16th September, with all funds raised going towards the foundation.” Donations can be made via: http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/team/blackhouse
The six dishes featured during August’s Great British Beef Off will be…
- Grill on the Alley (Manchester) – Fillet Steak, Bury black pudding bon bon, Lancashire hotpot potatoes, Boddington’s jus – Chef Michael Antoszwski
- Grill on the Corner (Glasgow) – Grilled Fillet Steak served with Haggis bon bon , neaps & tattie puree, kale & whiskey sauce – Chef Graeme Sterling
- Olive Liverpool – Grilled Fillet Steak with Blind Scouse, pickled cabbage and crusty bread – Chef Maty Metcalfe
- Grill on New York St (Manchester) – Grilled Fillet Steak, Manchester egg , béarnaise sauce, asparagus – Chef Milan Sojka
- Grill on the Market (London) – Grilled fillet steak with bubble and squeak cake, battered oyster, bacon curls and red wine jus – Chef Jack Cinense
- Grill on the Square (Leeds) – Pan seared treacle cured fillet of beef with cauliflower puree, tender stem broccoli, Yorkshire puddings and shallot jus – Chef John Doyle