At the most magical time of the year, take a trip to Salford Quays: the home of MediaCityUK. It’s the perfect occasion to enjoy a short festive break, and make the most of the festivities going on in the area, including Christmas markets, Santa’s Grotto, festive theatre, seasonal food & drink, shopping, and the captivating annual digital light festival, Lightwaves 2017.
Families and friends will find some of the UK’s best Christmas events taking place atGreater Manchester’s vibrant waterfront destination, Salford Quays, which is also home to some of the most spectacular attractions and iconic buildings in the UK.
Keep the whole family entertained this season, with these festive ideas to inspire! #QuayTips:
- Be part of The Lowry’s Christmas performance extravaganza with showings of Elf The Musical (Fri 24 November – Sun 14 January), Around the World in 80 Days (Tue 5 December – Sun 7 January), The Gruffalo (Wed 6 December – Sun 7 January) and The Extraordinary Tale of Holly Christmas (Wed 20 – Sun 31 December).
- This winter, Quays Culture will host the UK’s biggest digital light festival, as 12 FREE light experiences span across Salford Quays and MediaCityUK. The annual festival, Lightwaves 2017 will showcase an eclectic programme of digital light art, taking over public spaces for an unforgettable 10 days. (Fri 8 – Sun 17 December). To celebrate the launch, Honour Choir will return for one night only, with a performance at 7pm on Friday 8 December. Families with little ones should head down to the free, exclusive bite size toddler moves sessions, in partnership with Baby Moves, a leading UK baby development programme (10-11am, Sat 9th December). There’s no need to book, but spaces will be limited.
- Visit the wonderful Tudor Manor House, Ordsall Hall and embark on any one of its festive-filled adventures. Be part of the Christmas Concert and enjoy music from the BBC Philharmonic string quartet (Mon 11 December). Families will love Sleepy Stories and Christmas Cheer (Thu 21 December); grab your favourite teddy and join Sleepy Steph, before bedtime, to hear winter tales with a cup of hot chocolate in the Great Hall. And why not visit Father Christmas in his festive Grotto (Sun 10/Sun 17 December)? Get creative at Christmas Wreath Making (Sun 17 December); learn how to make a festive wreath to take home, using natural materials such as chillies, oranges and pine cones. Great to keep or use as a gift! Each guest gets a mince pie too.
- Lowry Outlet MediaCityUKwill host an Elf Enchanted Market (Thu 23 – Sun 26 November); this four-day extravaganza is inspired by ElfThe Musical, and will include street entertainers, festive market stalls, local choirs and a giant Christmas pudding! Children will love the Elf Workshop (Thu 23 November – Mon 1 January); see inside the wonders of the Elves’ workshop and see how they help prepare for Christmas. And if that’s not enough, Lowry Outlet’s indoor Magical Makers Markets will be on weekends throughout December (2/3 – 9/10 -16/17); where you will be able to experience festive crafts, artisan foods and music.
- Enjoy a tempting selection of local and seasonal produce on offer at Lime, an independent restaurant and bar located in the heart of Salford Quays. Foodie offers for the season ahead include its Pre Theatre Menu, and Christmas Menu (served from Fri 1 December).
- Copthorne Hotel Manchesteris spreading Christmas cheer this year; gather friends and family for it twist on the classic, Festive Afternoon Tea, from £14.95pp. Perfect for families, experience festive magic at Sunday Lunch with Santa (Sun 10/ Sun 17 December) and meet a very special guest! Why not make a weekend of it with an overnight stay?
- Set sail, and take a boat ride along Manchester’s historic ship canal and see the ultra-modern skyline from the water with City Centre Cruises, which offers a range of cruise attractions. And perfect for the festive season, seasonalAfternoon Tea (Wed 13 December), and its Historical Cruise (Sat 16 December) complete with mulled wine and mince pies.
- Challenge convention this Christmas and book a place at The Alchemist. Their delicious Christmas menu has arrived and it’s a treat for the taste buds (£28 pp | for 3 courses). Treat yourself and sip on a festive tipple from its new Winter Cocktail menu, includes Mulled Negroni and Xmas Trifle.
- With so much to see in just one day, take the opportunity to rest your head. Hotel Football, theworld’s first football hotel, located opposite Manchester United’s OId Trafford stadium, is the go-to destination for fans, families, and tourists. For those looking for a bite to eat, Café Football offers a fun, relaxed dining experience influenced by the spirit of the game.